No RAID for VT8237?

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Mon Nov 29 20:49:26 PST 2004

Can someone tell my why there is no RAID support for the VT8237 SATA
controller, when the chipset is listed as supported in the ata man page?
I've wasted enough money and time buying hardware and hoping that a
particular onboard ATA raid chips is supported. I understand that the
manufacturers may not release the data required to write a driver, and
that they keep changing specs around, but if we could at least have
documentation stating which of the common onboard raid chipsets are
supported. The motherboard in question is a gigabyte GA-K8VM800M. FreeBSD
5.3 detects the chipset, but shows the drives individually, not as an ar
array.