Beastie/ how about Mozilla?

Rob rob at pythonemproject.com
Mon Nov 29 09:12:29 PST 2004

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> It is with a little intrepidation that I ask this question, because I
> sense that what I am about to ask might push some buttons, or perhaps
> bring back some unpleasant memories of those who have asked what I am
> going to ask in a less tactful manner.
>
> I find that the beastie that appears at boot time with FreeBSD 5.3
> mildly bothers me.  It is possible for me to edit boot/beastie.4th,
> but this gets put back each time I do make installworld.
>
> Would it be possible to add a variable "show_beastie" to be put in
> /boot/loader.conf, which would default to "YES", but users could add
> in show_beastie="NO" if they didn't want it, but only want the menu.
>
> I am sure that this is a sensitive subject with you guys, because I
> know that you have no intention of associating FreeBSD with satanism
> or anything like that.  It is not my intention to apply any kind of
> label of evil to you guys, indeed I find FreeBSD to be a very fine
> operating system, and I use it all the time.  But the symbol which is
> commonly associated with the devil does cause me some discomfort, and
> for example, if I were to install some kind of server for my church, I
> think that it would bother them as well.
>
> I know that the the symbol of the beastie is strongly associated with
> FreeBSD, and that it would be grossly unfair for me to ask for it to
> be removed just because of my personal discomfort.
>
> That is why I am proposing the solution above.  I think that it would
> be easy to implement by anyone who knows Forth (presuming that the
> loader.conf variables are known to the beastie.4th program), and that
> this would not interfere at all with those who don't mind or enjoy the
> beastie, but it would also help people like me in an unobtrusive manner.
>
> Best, Stephen

Hi, just had to comment on a related matter to this.  I was talking to
my doctor who is a rabbid christian.  The subject came to browsers and I
said "Why don't you try Mozilla?"   His reply was "...I am a
Christian..."    Was the first time I have known of anyone being
offended by a dragon ion. LOL.
I forgot to tell him that he could change it to something he liked
better.  But it gives me shivers of joy just knowing how offensive free
Unix is.

Rob .