help! bad filesystem summary trashes system

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sun Nov 28 13:25:47 PST 2004

<michaelnottebrock at gmx.net> wrote:
> >Somehow my /usr filesystem ended up being corrupted in such a way that
> > it's now recognized as 11 terabytes big and with -11tb free...
>
> What happened beforehand?  Was this after a clean shutdown, normal crash,
> power failure or what?

I can't really tell. I noticed something was wrong when the system started to
hang when trying to bring the network interfaces up (I have background
fsck-enabled, so the bad /usr partition got mounted and as a result, dhclient
just hangs, like anything else).

> You could try using dumpfs(8) to look at the super block contents.
>
> Have you tried telling fsck to use an alternate super block (-b option)?

I found an alternate superblock at 128, but using it gives the same error.

> If it's just a glitch that's affected the primary super block, this
> should work.  If the in-core data got corrupted and has been written to
> all the superblocks, you might need to play with a filesystem editor.

Can you suggest such an editor (and possibly give some hints what exactly to
do with it)?

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org