Network traffic: ttl

Tomek Tylec my-buziaki at interecho.com
Sun Nov 28 04:43:49 PST 2004

I found that gateway I use, sometimes receives packets from my FreeBSD
5.3 box with ttl 63. But when I dumped tcp packets (with tcpdump) that
are send from my computer, they always got ttl 64.

Moreover Linux (Fedora Core 2) running on same computer don't have such
problems.

Also older versions of FreeBSD (5.2.1 for example) work fine (ttl's are
correct).

It's specially important for me, because my ISP, that owns gateway, use
simple method to check if he have illegal clients - firewall on gateway
drops packets with odd ttl.