the best graphicscard for FreeBSD

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Nov 26 03:10:27 PST 2004

alex bustamante <busta at 33rpm.biz> wrote:
 > Is there any graphicscard that is known to work better than others with
 > freebsd/x11? (open sourcecode for the drivers, etc)

Here are my two (Euro) cents ...

If you don't want to play the latest 3D ego shooter games,
get a Matrox MGA G400 (or even G200) from eBay.  They are
cheap, work very well for 2D stuff (even support OpenGL
for those cool 3D screen savers).  Also, the analog VGA
output of Matrox cards has legendary quality which
matches that of the digital DVI output of other cards
(you get an excellent, sharp picture).  And last but not
least, the XFree86/Xorg drivers are rock-stable.

I'm using Matrox MGA cards for many years, starting with
the Matrox Millenium.  Unfortunately, Matrox has gotten
stingy of drivers and specs lately, so I'd advise against
buying their newer cards (Parhelia).

Best regards
   Oliver

"When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb."
        -- Steve Haflich, in comp.lang.c++