the best graphicscard for FreeBSD

Diego Calleja diegocglinux at yahoo.es
Fri Nov 26 02:50:34 PST 2004

El Thu, 25 Nov 2004 23:23:57 +0100 "Jorn Argelo" <jorn at wcborstel.nl>
escribió:

[...]
> Also, I don't think many people will exactly understand how it works
> anyway. At least, one may assume that GPUs are really complicated.

>From what I've heard to the x.org guys, programming such drivers is a very
complex task. Several DRI developers have access to the ATI r2xx specs
and the driver is 100% opensource, but the driver is still quite inferior
compared with the available binary drivers. Lack of experience of the
opensource community when it comes to "graphics" is IMHO a problem too (we
know how to build servers and how to build drivers for network cards, but
"desktops" are somewhat different and not many people knows/cares about
3D acceleration).

IMHO supported opensource drivers are much better than open specs. That's
what Intel seems to be doing or they are planning to do or there's a hope
that they'll do, I've heard. Intel seems to be more opensource-friendly
lately, at least they're releasing specs for some of their hardware, like
this littel jewel: http://www.intel.com/technology/serialata/pdf/rev1_0.pdf