gvinum raid 5 (was re: graid3)

Brian Szymanski ski at indymedia.org
Thu Nov 25 17:00:26 PST 2004

> What's unusable about it? I've 4 250GB ATA drives, desiring capacity +
> redundancy, but don't care about speed, much like you, and gvinum raid 5
> has suited me just fine this past few weeks. Eats a lot of system cpu when
> there is heavy IO to the R5, but I've booted up with a drive unplugged and
> it worked fine in degraded mode, so I'm content...

Hmm... Maybe I got lucky/had an empty filesystem/hallucinated last time,
but in any event when I try pulling the power on a drive now I get an
error about a block not being found... Less than reassuring:

drive 1:
/dev/gvinum/big: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
/dev/gvinum/big: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

drive 2:
/dev/gvinum/big: CANNOT READ BLK: 1401158656
/dev/gvinum/big: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

drive 3:
/dev/gvinum/big: CANNOT READ BLK: 1401158656
/dev/gvinum/big: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

drive 4:
Cannot find file system superblock
/dev/gvinum/big: CANNOT READ BLK: 1401158656
/dev/gvinum/big: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
/dev/gvinum/big: CANNOT WRITE BLK: 12000
/dev/gvinum/big: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

---
THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
        ufs: /dev/gvinum/big (/home)
Automatic file system check failed; help!

Pulling power on the RAID0/RAID1 arrays I have does what I expect it to
do... Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Cheers,
Brian Szymanski
ski at indymedia.org