5.3 on Intel 386 ?

Scott Long scottl at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 25 13:56:28 PST 2004

Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Scott Long wrote:

> Btw: The "at least 8 megs of RAM to install and 7 megs to run" needs
> some rather big annotations to be true and should probably be revised.
> The last release you could install from a CD-ROM with plain sysinstall
> on 8 megs of RAM was FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE.

Yeah, the mfsroot requirement here along with the growing kernel size
really makes it hard for the installer to work in even 16MB of RAM.  I
don't see this abating anytime soon unless we go to a bare kernel +
modules approach and ditch /stand from the mfsroot (and thereby ditch
floppies).  I'm just saying this matter of fact, not trying to stir a
debate.  Please enjoy your turkey dinner instead today and refrain from
flaming me over floppies vs. RAM =-)

Scott