graid3 - requirements or manpage wrong?

Brian Szymanski ski at indymedia.org
Thu Nov 25 13:20:47 PST 2004

>>The only problem then is - gvinum being in a completely unusable state
>>(for raid5 anyway), what are my alternatives? I have four 160gb IDE
>>drives, and I want capacity+redundancy. Performance is a non-issue,
>>really. What do I do - in software?

What's unusable about it? I've 4 250GB ATA drives, desiring capacity +
redundancy, but don't care about speed, much like you, and gvinum raid 5
has suited me just fine this past few weeks. Eats a lot of system cpu when
there is heavy IO to the R5, but I've booted up with a drive unplugged and
it worked fine in degraded mode, so I'm content...

> Vinum and now gvinum (I have not tried the latter, your words) have
> never had reliable RAID-5 implementation. That is my experience only.

? This is the first I've heard of such problems? Vinum has served me well
in the past, although I've never used Raid-5 before... If there are known
bugs, I'd appreciate someone sending me a link to where I can read more.

Cheers,
Brian Szymanski
ski at indymedia.org