the best graphicscard for FreeBSD

Stein M.Sandbech stein at ife.no
Thu Nov 25 12:41:05 PST 2004

On Nov 25, 2004, at 9:03 PM, Matthias Buelow wrote:

> Harald Arnesen wrote:
>
>> All Radeons up to 9100 (9200, but that one is slower). Unfortunately,
>> that excludes all reasonably new cards.
>
> The newer cards work very well.  I have a X800se PCI-Express card and
> it works like a charm with X.org 6.8.1 on 5.3.

Which also the newest nVidia cards also do. I got a brand new Intel MB
based P4 with nVidia GeForce 6  6600 GPU
(on PCI Express of course). They run flawlessly in VESA mode
(FreeBSD5.3 and 4.10).  Fast enough for me as a
regular 2D accelerator.

But, I guess its the accelerated driver (nVidia bin driver) most ppl
will go for, and I have mixed feelings
regarding the latest driver. My system became fairly unstable (a bit
worse than a standard Windows
system too :-( ). This was with the older GeForce 5 5900 controller,
though.

Stein M. Sandbech

--sms