Newbie Port Filter Question on 4.10stable

Evren Yurtesen yurtesen at ispro.net.tr
Tue Nov 23 03:43:48 PST 2004

Hi,

I think if your firewall is normally working fine. You can use

#sh /etc/rc.firewall &

(notice the & for putting it background)

Because if you have last default rule to deny everything, the
rc.firewall script first flushes every rule and if you are connected via
ssh etc. you would get disconnected immediately and execution of
rc.firewall stops, so it is not able to load the new rules. If it is on
background then it will continue working till the end and put the new
rules into action.

Please let me know if you find any better solution :) I always use
#sh rc.firewall &
but there is always a better way :p

Evren