Configuring a DVD burner on 4.10

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Nov 22 06:47:44 PST 2004

DONALD GOODWIN <donaldg368 at verizon.net> wrote:
 > The drive is seen by the OS.  I can mount it using a normal CD-R.  But when
 > I try to use it for a burner, it doesn't work (get a bad ioctl message).

The _exact_ wording of the error message might be helpful.

 > When I run camcontrol devlist, the drive shows up on bus 2.  But, when I run
 > cdrecord, bus 2 is not seen.  Camcontrol reports the device (/dev/adc0a) is
 > using pass4.  But there is no /dev/pass4 device in /dev.

Then create it (as root):  cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV pass4

 > The message i get is inapproriate ioctl.  Driving me nuts.
 > Thoughts/pointers/questions are greatly appreciated.

I would recommend using the dvd+rw-tools port instead of
cdrecord (/usr/ports/sysutils/dvd+rw-tools).  Despite the
name, it supports all types of DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Clear perl code is better than unclear awk code; but NOTHING
comes close to unclear perl code"  (taken from comp.lang.awk FAQ)