CVS/cvsup problems (ports/74157)

Vlad Manilici vman at tmok.com
Sun Nov 21 14:04:02 PST 2004

Hi Erik,

> I use CVS to check out from my own local copy of the repository (which
> it seems you do too.) I use CVSup to keep my local copy of the
> repository updated (cvsuping from cvsup.dk.freebsd.org)

Could you please post your supfile? The Handbook does not document cvsuping
the repository, nor where the master mirror sites are. Some rsync sites are
listed, though (Section A.8).

I strongly disgree with the documented way of updating the sources via
cvsup (Handbook, A.5). A local copy of the sources, without CVS tags, makes
it impossible to generate patches of own changes. I suppose much work gets
lost like this.

> Is there some particular reason you use rsync instead of cvsup to get a
> copy the repository?

1. rsync -> only documented method
2. allbsd.org -> random choice

> Since I don't use rsync I have no idea if teh above line is correct or
> not.  I also have no idea if rsync.allbsd.org is up to date and working
> or not, but if it is not it quite likely the cause of your problem.

It seems so. The only way to check this out is by using an "official"
repository. See above about posting your supfile.

> I don't think there is any need to use the '-R' option to those
> commands (it is not even documented in the manpage.)

Read better:

-R     Turns  on  read-only  repository mode.

> *Bad* idea.  I really do not appreciate getting 2+ MB in a mail, and I
> don't think anybody else on the freebsd-stable list does either.

I apologize for that.

> I didn't see anything obviously wrong in the logs.

Well, me neither :/.

Vlad