serious networking (em) performance (ggate and NFS) problem

Andreas Braukmann braukmann at tse-online.de
Thu Nov 18 00:02:53 PST 2004

--On Mittwoch, 17. November 2004 20:48 Uhr -0500 Mike Jakubik <mikej at rogers.com> wrote:

> I have two PCs connected together, using the em card. One is FreeBSD 6
> from Fri Nov  5 , the other is Windows XP. I am using the default mtu of
> 1500, no polling, and i get ~ 21MB/s tranfser rates via ftp. Im sure this
> would be higher with jumbo frames.

probably

> Both computers are AMD cpus with Via
> chipsets.

Which AMD Chipset? VIA did some pretty bad PCI implementations
in the past. Once I wondered about suspiciously low transfer
rates in the process of testing 3Ware and Adaptec (2120S, 2200S)
RAID-Controllers. The transfer rates maxed out at ca. 30 MByte/s.
Switching the testboxes mainboard from one with VIA chipset to
one with  an AMD (MP / MPX) chipset was a great success.

-Andreas