gvinum again?

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Mon Nov 15 09:25:37 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 02:31 -0500, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:26:54 -0500, Paul Mather <paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrote:
>
> > Your observation is correct: it doesn't (yet) load balance across plexes
> > of mirrored volumes; geom_mirror (gmirror) does, though (and offers
> > various load-balancing options).
>
> Is this something planned for the near future?  I'm migrating legacy
> units here, so I don't really have a choice.

I don't know about the *near* future, but I believe it is on
Lukas' (le at freebsd.org) list of things to do.  You'd probably have to
ask him how high it is on the list, though.

> ... also ... I suspect, whatever form it eventually takes, that volume
> management and geom and/or vinum is essential.

I my case I had a legacy root-on-vinum all-mirrored setup, and so was
interested in mirroring more than LVM.  (Like many, I'd used vinum just
as a way of accomplishing a software RAID 1 across two drives to provide
extra tolerance to drive failures.)  So, migrating from geom_vinum to
geom_mirror was not such a burden (or a hurdle).

I don't know if growfs is 100% robust enough yet to provide the other
important ingredient to a true LVM storage management system a la the
logical volume manager on AIX or AdvFS on Tru64, say.

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa