Grabbing hold of logged out but active tty

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Sat Nov 13 14:37:59 PST 2004

Am 13.11.2004 um 20:08 schrieb Oren Baum:

> UpOnlineHi,
>
>   I'm running 4.10 and was wondering if there's a trick to regaining
> control of another tty session that is still running (under ps) but I
> (the user) have been logged out. This happens to me on occasion when
> I'm running some programs in the background and am logged out by the
> shell.

If you regularly have long-running sessions, and you might need to
disconnect from and reconnect to them, you should start them from
within screen (misc/screen).

If you have really important things in that session right now that you
can only recover immediatly, you could try the snp(4) device together
with watch(8) to hook onto the tty, but your success might be limited
by the fact that the tty is effectivly closed. snp(4) can be loaded as
a module.

Good luck,
Stefan

--