Panic in 5.3, related to network traffic

Arjan Van Leeuwen avleeuwen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 12:38:32 PST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:42:01 +0000 (GMT), Robert Watson
<rwatson at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Arjan Van Leeuwen wrote:
>
> > > Could you send a copy of your dmesg?  Could you also use gdb on a kernel
> > > with debug symbols or addr2line to convert the function+offsets in the
> > > trace to file and line number in the source?  This is a NULL pointer
> > > dereference, so presumably somewhere there is a poor assumption about
> > > memory allocation or the like.
> >
> > dmesg is attached.
>
> Could you say a little about how ipfilter is being used on the box; would
> it be possible to test with it disabled?

I've converted my ipfilter/ipnat system to ipfw/natd, and now the
problem is "solved".

However, your patch still gives me a *lot* of icmp_error: n_spare != n
messages. I also noticed that if I ping from that system, it pings
every 2 seconds instead of every second. The clock doesn't seem to be
affected, and changing kern.timecounter.hardware doesn't change the
situation.

Arjan