freebsd 5.3 have any problem with vinum ?

secmgr security at jim-liesl.org
Thu Nov 11 11:47:48 PST 2004

Matthias Schuendehuette wrote:

>I'm not sure if this is a problem of (g)vinum or if FreeBSD has other
>problems in this area.

just logged a  kern bug on this

>And we all have to consider that gvinum is in a relatively early
>development phase (IMHO) - it is basically working, that is, it's
>possible to continue an existing 'classic' vinum installation with
>gvinum but it's still not fully functional in all depth.

(minor deletes)
I guess my issue is that there should be something in the release
notes/updating that says "gvinum raid5 is not fully funtional at this
time".  I would argue that if can't survive a disk failure, it's not
really RAID5.  You might as well just go stripe and at least get the
disk space back.  If I hadn't sat down and tested this, I wouldn't have
known it was broke till I had a drive failure which is not a good time
to find out.  I like (in general) where this is heading, but we seem to
be inbetween relieable s/w raid5 solutions in FreeBSD.

jim