Heimdal version in system is ancient!

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Thu Nov 11 08:08:49 PST 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 07:37:11PM -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> Why is the version of Heimdal in the base system 0.5.1?
>
> The port has 0.6.1 in /usr/ports/security/heimdal.
>
> How are we supposed to do any useful work when the system version of a
> product is in direct conflict with a port version?

If the system version is sufficient for your needs, use it. If you
require the version in the ports, use that. There is no "direct
conflict", they install to different locations.

> How do I get the latest version of Heimdal into the system?

Install the port and change your $PATH. The system version doesn't
include everything that the port has so you'll likely want to do that
anyway.

-T

--
One monk said to the other, "The fish has flopped out of the net!
 How will it live?"