ULE Scheduler available in 5.3-RELEASE?

Thomas T. Veldhouse veldy at veldy.net
Thu Nov 11 07:36:03 PST 2004

Brooks Davis wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 09:29:08AM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>

>>I just read in the release notes that 5.3-RELEASE has the new ULE
>>scheduler available, but that 4BSD is the default scheduler.  I thought
>>I read messages in freebsd-current indicating that the option to use ULE
>>was completely removed from the 5.3 or even the RELENG_5 branch?  So, is
>>ULE really available?
>>

>ULE is not available in 5.3 or RELENG_5 due to problems that were
>unfixed at the time of the release.
>
>-- Brooks

Perhaps the release notes should be updated?

Here is a quote
(http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/relnotes-i386.html#NEW):

"The ULE scheduler has been added as an additional scheduler. Note that
the conventional one, which is called 4BSD, is still used as the default
scheduler in the GENERIC kernel. For the average user, interactivity is
reported to be better in many cases. This means less ``skipping'' and
``jerking'' in interactive applications while the machine is very busy.
This will not prevent problems due to overloaded disk subsystems, but it
does help with overloaded CPUs. On SMP machines, ULE has per-CPU run
queues which allow for CPU affinity, CPU binding, and advanced
HyperThreading support, as well as providing a framework for more
optimizations in the future. As fine-grained kernel locking continues,
the scheduler will be able to make more efficient use of the available
parallel resources."

Thanks in advance.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 07C7 BF05 4176 F50B A083  4542 0118 1315 761F D300