5.3-RELEASE kde 3.3 and pf

Gunnar Flygt flygt at sr.se
Wed Nov 10 05:49:02 PST 2004

I've had problems with DKE 3.3 since I upgraded to 5.3-RELEASE.
I compared the same machine (Dell Latitude D600) with a different HD
where Gentoo Linux (Sorry for that:) resides. Om the Gentto box KDE 3.3
starts promply from kdm, no extra delays, but with FreeBSD 5.3 it takes
about 2 minutes to get a running KDE environment.

Got the "briliant" idea to stop pf before starting kdm AND alas KDE
starts as fast as on the Gentoo system. (Actually it is even faster than
login on the gentoo system:)

Here is my /etc/pf.conf:

#	$FreeBSD: src/etc/pf.conf,v 1.1.2.1 2004/09/17 18:27:14 mlaier Exp $
#	$OpenBSD: pf.conf,v 1.21 2003/09/02 20:38:44 david Exp $
#
# See pf.conf(5) and /usr/share/examples/pf for syntax and examples.
# Required order: options, normalization, queueing, translation, filtering.
# Macros and tables may be defined and used anywhere.
# Note that translation rules are first match while filter rules are last match.

# Macros: define common values, so they can be referenced and changed easily.
ext_if="bge0"	# replace with actual external interface name i.e., dc0

# Normalization: reassemble fragments and resolve or reduce traffic ambiguities.
scrub in all

# block all incoming packets but allow ssh, pass all outgoing tcp and udp
# connections and keep state, logging blocked packets.
block in log all
antispoof for { lo, $ext_if }
pass  in  on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if port 22 keep state
pass  out on $ext_if proto { tcp, udp } all keep state
pass out quick proto icmp from any to any keep state
pass in quick proto icmp from any to any

# drop without log
block in proto { tcp, udp } from any to any port 134 >< 140
block in proto tcp from any to any port = 515
block in from any to 255.255.255.255
# my local network Class B
block in from any to yyy.xx.255.255
block in from any to 224.0.0.0/4

What is it that makes KDE so slow when using pf with these simple rules.
Have I missed something?

--
Gunnar Flygt
SR Datadrift