Odd error at end of "make installworld"

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Nov 9 09:56:37 PST 2004

> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:15:15 +0200
> From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org>
>

> --a1QUDc0q7S3U7/Jg
>
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 07:41:29AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I think there is a small issue with the Makefile, although I don't see
> > exactly what. But I'm no great shakes on Makefiles.
> >=20
> > At the very end of the installworld, after completely the makewhatis and
> > /etc stuff, I got the message that I should not be doing a make world:
> > WARNING: make world will overwrite your existing FreeBSD
> > installation without also building and installing a new
> > kernel.  This can be dangerous.  Please read the handbook,
> > 'Rebuilding world', for how to upgrade your system.
> > Define DESTDIR to where you want to install FreeBSD,
> > including /, to override this warning and proceed as usual.
> > You may get the historical 'make world' behavior by defining
> > HISTORICAL_MAKE_WORLD.  You should understand the implications
> > before doing this.
> >=20
> > Bailing out now...
> >=20
> > But I had not done a 'make world'. I did the standard sequence with a
> > re-boot after installkernal, a mergemaster -p, and installworld. Since
> > this message is the second invocation of "world:" in Makefile, I suspect
> > it needs to be worked on a bit.
> >=20
> > FWIW, I was updating from 5.3-Stable of last Wednesday to -Stable of
> > last evening (to get Nate's ACPI patches).
> >=20
> Hmm, maybe you typed "make install world", with a space between
> "install" and "world"?

I can believe that I did, and that might be a good explanation. I won't
claim to being a good typist, as most every message I spell check can
affirm. But what is the install target? It's at least not documented in
Makefile and a grep of Makefile and Makefile.inc1 for "install:" don't
show such a target.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)