standard-supfile = stable-supfile with 5.3 ?

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Nov 9 08:34:57 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 05:15:13PM +0900, Rob wrote:

> The two files
>
>  /usr/src/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
>  /usr/src/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
>
> both have
>
>    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5
>
> although the first one claims to download CURRENT.
>
> And, eh, why is the filename "standard-supfile" and
> why not the more obvious "current-supfile" ?

I'm not sure I understand.  How was your system brought up to the
new release - was it a CD install or cvsup-ed?  If cvsup-ed what did
you use as the tag during the cvsup?

I'm seeing what you expect both in CVS and on a system installed from
CD:

harlow 1 % cd /usr/share/examples/cvsup/
harlow 2 % grep "default release" standard-supfile stable-supfile
standard-supfile:*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_3
stable-supfile:*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5
harlow 3 % uname -a
FreeBSD harlow.cse.buffalo.edu 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #3: Thu Nov  4 16:14:06 EST 2004     root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386
harlow 4 %

The standard-supfile is meant for people who want to track the release
branch as Errata/Security updates get applied to it.  The stable-supfile
is meant for people who want to track the *development* branch, which
is not recommended for people who do not have the time to watch over
the freebsd-stable mailing list (on occasion mistakes do happen in the
development branch and other development work can at times cause
glitches people need to be aware of).

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu