Upgrade from 5.3 RC1 to 5.3

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 8 10:36:45 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Mauricio Brunstein wrote:

> I was making some tests with 5.3 RC1 and was working fine, so I go ahead
> and make a lot of customization and configuration, so the machine is
> ready to do its work. But now I want to cvsup the sources of 5.3 and
> build a new kernel and userland. In spite of the small differences
> between the 5.3 RC1 and 5.3, do I need to have access to the console of
> the machine or can do this remotely by ssh?

The primary issue I'm aware of, and I'll mention it specifically because
I'm responsible for it, is that we made a last minute change to the device
driver ABI for network device drivers.  When you do the update, make sure
that all modules are rebuilt -- especially if you're using a third party
of ports-built network device driver module.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research