preemption stable under 5.3?

Mipam mipam at ibb.net
Mon Nov 8 04:54:11 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Emanuel Strobl wrote:

> Am Montag, 8. November 2004 11:56 schrieb Mipam:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is the preemption stable under 5.3 release?
> > Can i savely enable it under 5.3? Latest i heard that in combination
> > with the ule scheduler it didnt work well  and wasnt stable.
>
> ULE was disabled and can't be compiled with 5.3, PREEMPTION and 4BSD scheduler
> are doing fine.

Thanks for your reply, okay, then i'd like to enable preemption.
I noticed it's not in the GENERIC kernel config file.
So: options	PREEMPTION
would suffice to enable it i guess?
Any experience with preemption. noticable changes?
So the problem: "PREEMPTION triggers frequent hangs" is resolved?
Btw, is RELENG_5 also stable or only for early adopters?
I really would like to see ule working stable in combination with
preemption, but in 5.3 it won't happen. Maybe ule will be enabled later in
the 5 series?

Is "Fine-grained network stack locking without Giant" imported in 5.3 or
is a giant lock networking stack still in 5.3?
Bye,

Mipam.