Panic: spin lock held too long

Peter Holm peter at holm.cc
Sun Nov 7 23:53:02 PST 2004

I just got a panic with GENERIC 5.3-RELEASE:

Script started on Mon Nov  8 08:42:44 2004
$ cd /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/GENERIC
$ kgdb kernel /var/crash/vmcore.1
[GDB will not be able to debug user-mode threads: /usr/lib/libthread_db.so: Undefined symbol "ps_pglobal_lookup"]
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd".
(no debugging symbols found)...0xc060bcea in doadump ()
(kgdb) bt
#0  0xc060bcea in doadump ()
#1  0xc060c2bd in boot ()
#2  0xc060c579 in panic ()
#3  0xc0603a68 in _mtx_lock_spin ()
#4  0xc06288e2 in sleepq_lookup ()
#5  0xc0612818 in msleep ()
#6  0xc05fa3b7 in kse_release ()
#7  0xc07b641b in syscall ()
#8  0xc07a5bcf in Xint0x80_syscall ()
#9  0x0000002f in ?? ()
#10 0x0000002f in ?? ()
:
#36 0xc192b000 in ?? ()
#37 0xc061c617 in sched_switch ()
Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(kgdb) quit
$ cat /var/crash/info.1
Good dump found on device /dev/ad0s3b
  Architecture: i386
  Architecture version: 1
  Dump length: 268419072B (255 MB)
  Blocksize: 512
  Dumptime: Mon Nov  8 08:00:32 2004
  Hostname: peter.osted.lan
  Versionstring: FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5 21:59:27 CET 2004
    pho at peter.osted.lan:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/GENERIC
  Panicstring: spin lock held too long
  Bounds: 1
$ exit
exit
peter# exit
$ exit

Script done on Mon Nov  8 08:44:25 2004

I'm compiling a new kernel with "-g", should it happen again.
--
Peter Holm