Is 4.10 the last upgrade for 4.x?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri May 28 08:20:33 PDT 2004

The following is speculation, based on historical trends in FreeBSD.
It assumes that we continue to do that, and that the re manpower
remains about the same as it is today (less manpower == less frequent
releases).

In message: <20040528134635.GD16345 at electra.cse.Buffalo.EDU>
            Ken Smith <kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU> writes:
: The next thing released will be 5.3.  If we stick to this plan 4.11
: would be released several months later - I would guess very late this
: year or early next year.

At this point it is best to view -stable as a 'release every 6-9
months' stage in its life cycle (4.9 was released 7 months ago).
These releases will continue as long as it makes sense to do them.
4.11 almost certainly makes sense, but a 4.12 may or may not make
sense.  Time will tell if it does (we won't know until about this time
next year) or not.  4.11 on this time scale would be Jan 2005 and 4.12
would be Sept 2005.  I personally suspect that there won't be a 4.12,
since 5.6 will likely be released around the same time frame (if we do
5.3 in July, then 5.4 would be Nov 2004, 5.5 would be Mar 2005, 5.6
would be July 2005 and 5.7 would be Nov 2005).  There were rumblings
of trying to get 6.0 out late next year too, which would certainly be
the last nail in the 4.x branch.

Anyway, if the folks that are actively on re@ say otherwise, believe
them, not me.

Warner