Problems with 4.10 and mysql

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Thu May 27 18:38:15 PDT 2004

Pete French said:
> Usually a good idea - I do for everything other than mysql... mainly
> because
> I had a problem with the ports when I started doing this four years ago,
> and
> so went to hand build.

Just a friendly suggestion (not trying to preach to the choir, this is
more for the benefit of new users):

Their purpose is to provide some level of assurance that popular
third-party packages work as well as possible under FreeBSD, and that
often (or even usually) means applying patches to the original code.
Without those patches, you might encounter subtle or major bugs that only
appear when the software is run on FreeBSD.

If you install something from ports and it doesn't work the way you want
it to, then query the mailing lists, contact the port maintainer, or file
a problem report, in that order. More often than not, the issue can and
will be fixed.

Ports are meant to be the FreeBSD developers' best possible compromise
between officially supported third-party programs and letting users fend
for themselves in the software wilderness.

Charles Ulrich