newbie upgrading question

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed May 26 11:47:59 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 01:17:04PM -0400, Brian Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been working with FreeBSD for about a month now, and it is my first
> foray into the BSD/UNIX/Linux world.  I have a question about upgrading.  I
> have tried several different ways to go about upgrading, and still can't
> seem to get the desired results.  I started out with a 4.8 install from
> ftp.freebsd.org.  My end goal is to build a FreeBSD firewall machine based
> on 4.8-STABLE.  When I put RELENG_4_8 in my supfile,
> download/recompile/etc., uname -a still shows the version at 4.8-RELEASE.
> When I cvsup with RELENG_4 in my supfile, I got upgraded to 4.10-STABLE.  Is
> there any way to upgrade just to 4.8-STABLE?  Am I going about this the
> wrong way?

4.8-STABLE is just the name used for the RELENG_4 branch after the
release of 4.8, but before the release of 4.9. When 4.9 was released
the name was changed to 4.9-STABLE (and now it is 4.10-STABLE.)

RELENG_4_8 is 4.8-RELEASE plus critical bugfixes, and is probably what
you want. (Yes, uname -a is apparently supposed to still say
4.8-RELEASE.)

It is not clear what you actually want when you say you want 4.8-STABLE
since that just refers to the RELENG_4 branch during a certain period
of time that is now in the past.  Do you really mean that you want a
snapshot of RELENG_4 from some point in that period of time, or do you
mean something else?

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson