340.noid problem?

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.com
Sat May 22 06:44:40 PDT 2004

Greetings

$ uname -a
FreeBSD corona.sequestor.lan 4.10-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.10-PRERELEASE #1:
Tue May 18 23:01:28 BST 2004
toor at corona.sequestor.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CORONA  i386

I recently installed a USB drive for backing up my LAN using rvm.

This drive is permanently mounted.

The files on this drive may well not be owned by a user/group on the
local system.

340.noid kicks in weekly as it should and finds a whole lot of files
with an unknown user and/or group.

I have set the periodic.conf variable weekly_noid_dirs to include all
root level directories except for /mnt.  I then ran it to test it.

This flags two directories which didn't show up on last nights report:

# ./340.noid

Check for files with an unknown user or group:
  /usr/compat/linux/var/lock
  /usr/compat/linux/var/spool/mail

$ ls -ld /usr/compat/linux/var/lock /usr/compat/linux/var/spool/mail
drwxrwxr-x  3 root  14  512B Apr 18 13:30 /usr/compat/linux/var/lock
drwxrwxr-x  2 root  12  512B Feb  6  1996
/usr/compat/linux/var/spool/mail

Why did these not show up last night?  Is it something to be worried
about?

Cheers.
--
Tony