Which resource am I running out of here?

Andy Smith andy at freebsdwiki.org
Tue May 18 19:30:28 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have an application which needs to open a lost of TCP connections
at once.  Up until now I have been telling this application to limit
itself to 1024 file descriptors at once, but today I thought I would
let it rip and increase it to 4096.

When I did this, I started noticing errors in other applications on
the same machine, such as postfix:

9905D27F28     4026 Tue May 18 23:53:55  mark at example.org
     (connect to mail.example.com[67.15.16.50]: Can't assign requested address)
                                         kari at example.com

Also emulating a HTTP connection:

$ telnet babylon.otherwize.co.uk 80
Trying 212.13.198.54...
telnet: connect to address 212.13.198.54: Can't assign requested address

So I'm thinking, ah, file descriptor limit.  I know the system's
FD limit can be queried with pstat -T, but:

$ pstat -T
4614/12328 files
45M/2047M swap space

seems like there is plenty of room there.  The ulimit -a for the
user the application runs under shows that it has a hard limit of
some 11000 FDs as well.

So it's not FDs.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to what resource I
might be running out of here?  If you could let me know how to list
the current usage of that resource, and how to increase it in
future, that would also be very useful, but any assistance would be
appreciated.

--
http://freebsdwiki.org/ - Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0xBF15490B