Welcome to the "freebsd-stable" mailing list

Alex Semenyaka alex at semenyaka.ru
Tue May 18 17:49:53 PDT 2004

To whom it may concern,

could somebody review my PR/66791? I made it after the questions in freebsd-net@
and newsgroup fido7.ru.unix.bsd from Alexander Lunyov. Actually the problem is
that the file dev.db needs to be rebuilt more frequently than just during the
startup (from /etc/rc).

The changes in the /dev are making through the MAKEDEV. This is the standard
de facto which is using by the thrird-party developers (what I've seen several
times were patches to MAKEDEV and only then recomendation for _advanced_ users
<g> how to do the same manually with mknod). Unfortunatelly sometimes happens
that people first rebbot the machine and _then_ run MAKEDEV. With some small
probability the dev.db then remains in the wrong state and thus devname() and
ttyname() start returning wrong values.

The simplest way to reduce the probability of this trouble is to rebuid dev.db
from MAKEDEV, and that what I am proposing in that PR. Also would be nice to add
the reference to dev_mkdb(8) at the end of MAKEDEV(8).

--
Sincerely,
Alex Semenyaka