Secure NFS (sNFS) on 4-Stable: has somebody succeeded?

CédricDevillers cedric.devillers at script.jussieu.fr
Thu May 13 04:43:56 PDT 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004 17:14:50 +0900
Rob <stopspam at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Thanks a lot, I then can explore further (but please bear in mind that I
> am a total dummy with perl).
>
> Perl comes with the FreeBSD-4-Stable base system as:
>    10 -r-xr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  10168 May 11 20:39 /usr/bin/perl
>    10 -r-xr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  10168 May 11 20:39 /usr/bin/perl5
>    10 -r-xr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  10168 May 11 20:39 /usr/bin/perl5.00503
>

> Exactly same sizes!! Exactly same file?
>
> When I do:
>
>    $ perl -e 'print "@INC\n";'

I don't know.

> I get no output at all. Why?
>
> When I do:
>
>    $ perl5 -e 'print "@INC\n";'
>    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd
>    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005
>    .
>    /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/mach
>    /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503
>    $

I have the same result but with the command perl too.

> The last line is the directory where I have: ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm
> So I suppose the perl path is okay.
>
> Let me then go back to the secure NFS package, cd into problem directory
> and type:
>
>    $ perl5 Makefile.PL
>    Checking if your kit is complete...
>    Looks good
>    Could not eval '
>              package ExtUtils::MakeMaker::_version;
>              no strict;
>
>              local $VERSION;
>              $VERSION=undef; do {
>                  our $VERSION = '1.54';
>              }; $VERSION
>          ' in SNFS.pm: Can't modify subroutine entry in scalar assignment at
>          (eval 6) line 7, at EOF$
>

> SNFS.pm is a long file (script?) of 1680 lines. It says in the top few lines:
>
>    package SNFS;
>
>    use 5.006;
>    use strict;
>    use warnings;
>
>    require Exporter;
>    use AutoLoader qw(AUTOLOAD);
>
>    our @ISA = qw(Exporter);
>
>    [...zip...]
>

> Why this is not working?

On Wed, 12 May 2004 17:23:09 +0100
Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> Yup. 'our' is a new keyword introduced in perl 5.6.x -- your version
> of perl is too old to run this software.  Your best bet is to install
> a more recent version of perl from the ports (perl-5.8.2 recommended).

you can test to compile the package by replacing the occurences of "our" by "my"
and by looking the result. Attention, no guarantee that that functions !!!
> Is the difference between perl versions 5.005 and 5.006 so essential?
> Comparing these version numbers, this looks more like a small bug fix to me.
> However, if the difference is so important, then why are we still hanging on
> to 5.005 in the FreeBSD base system, without 'upgrading' that to 5.006 or
> whatever?

I did not look at yet which are these differences. Sorry.

> Thanks so much!

Good luck !

> Rob.

	Cedric