Keeping FreeBSD up-to-date

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 12 08:56:17 PDT 2004

At 16:35 12/05/2004, Omar M. Nafees wrote:
>What is the most automated way to keep the FreeBSD base up-to-date? I know
>that the binary upgrade option in sysinstall can be used to upgrade the base
>to the latest release... but does this take into account new Security
>Advisories?

  No.  To upgrade your -RELEASE to include security fixes, you have to
update your source tree (either via cvsup or by manually downloading and
applying patches) and rebuild (either world or kernel, as applicable).
Instructions are included in every security advisory.

  Or, of course, you could use the not-officially-supported-but-used-by-
over-4000-people-anyway binary update option known as FreeBSD Update.
You'll find it in the ports tree as security/freebsd-update. :-)

Colin Percival