O2micro 6912 / PCCARD not working

Marian Hettwer Mh at kernel32.de
Mon May 10 06:11:55 PDT 2004

Hi All,

perhaps somebody could help me with this issue. I've been using my
Laptop (Acer Travelmate 220) for nearly 2 years now, but I never needed
my pcmcia slots.
Well, now I need them and I verified the installation. However, no
pcmcia card seems to work, and I get nearly no messages.
Perhaps I did a configuration mistake, so here we go, thats my config:

My Kernel:
# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
device          card
device          pcic0   at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000
device          pcic1   at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e2 iomem 0xd4000 disable

My System:
[mhettwer at acchilles] <~> $ uname -a
FreeBSD acchilles.cyclades-hannover.de 4.9-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD
4.9-RELEASE-p4 #26: Tue May  4 14:07:59 CEST 2004
root at acchilles.cyclades-hannover.de:/usr/src/sys/compile/ACCHILLES  i386

some dmesg stuff:
pcic0: <O2micro 6912 PCI-Cardbus Bridge> irq 10 at device 9.0 on pci1
pcic0: PCI Memory allocated: 0x88000000
pcic0: Warning: O2micro OZ68xx chips may not work
pccard0: <PC Card 16-bit bus (classic)> on pcic0

Well, the warning is speaking of 68xx chipset. Mine is 6912. So I
ignored this problem ...

As far as I could say, this looks okay, doesn't it ? FreeBSD recognized
my pcmcia slots.

pccardd is also running:
[mhettwer at acchilles] <~> $ ps ax|grep pccard
    61  ??  Is     0:00,00 pccardd -z -f /etc/defaults/pccard.conf
[mhettwer at acchilles] <~> $ cat /etc/rc.conf |grep pcc
pccard_enable="YES"
pccard_beep="2"

If I plug in a PCMCIA-to-CF Adapter (with a CF card inside) I get no
messages. Neither when running 'dmesg' nor when looking in /var/log/messages

So I tried to do a 'pccardc power 0 1'. Now I have at least one message
in dmesg, saying: pccard: card inserted, slot 0

A 'pccardc dumpcis' doesn't look good either ...
[root at acchilles] <~> # pccardc dumpcis
Configuration data for card in slot 0
Tuple #1, code = 0xff (Terminator), length = 0
1 slots found

Any ideas how I could get my pcmcia cards running ?

I got it up and running with a FreeBSD 5.0 some time ago ... but 5.0 was
of course not the right choice for my daily work laptop ... I'd like to
prevent updating to 5.2.1 ...

TIA,
Marian