Boot manager problem

Pete French petefrench at keithprowse.com
Tue May 4 06:26:43 PDT 2004

So, heres an irritating prooblem that I was wondering if
anyone has a slution to. I have a machine with an Adaptec SCSI card in it,a
Compaq 4200 RAID controllert and a CD-ROM (ATAPI). The machine boots
from a drive connected to the 2940 SCSI card. I keep an old BIOS on this
which permenently installs iitself as  drive C: or I dont get the FreeBSD boot
manager prompt.

Recently I aded in an ether card which also ttried to register itself as a boot
device. Now I still get the FreeBSD boot manager, but if I ppress F1 to
boot it just beeps at me.

What makes it very odd, however, is that if I then hit F5 to cycle through
all the drives until I get back to the originsal, I can now boot from it!

This is somewhat frustrating - I realise there is some problem with the
machine BIOS, but if I can get as far as the booot menu then surely I should
be ableto boot the drive ?  Any wy does cylicng through all the discs help ?

I am loathe to try upgrading the machines BIOS in case I end up in a state
where I cannot boot  the system at all I cannot boot the system at all

suggestions ?

-pcf.