Diskless machine - getdevs: error getting device stats

Steve Shorter steve at nomad.lets.net
Wed Mar 31 10:41:47 PST 2004

Howdy!

	I have some diskless machines that boot using PXE and mount
data over NFS. They are truly diskless. When I run
vmstat (or similarly systat -vm) I get

	vmstat: getdevs: error getting device stats
	getdevs: Invalid argument

	Other  PXE booted machines that mount hard drives don't
exhibit this behavior.

	On machines that don't mount hard drives
the sysctl variable

	kern.devstat.numdevs  = 0

	A ktrace on vmstat shows that a call to sysctl fails.

	What is to be done to be able to run vmstat and systat -vm?

	Or what are the consequences of this. if any?

	Freebsd-9-STABLE.

	thanx - steve