natd & virtual hosting

Eli K. Breen eli at gopostal.ca
Mon Mar 22 11:13:29 PST 2004

Janet Sullivan wrote:
>  > I'm trying to host a few services under a few different domain names and
>  > need to be running multiple webservers to do it (apache 1.3x and 2.x).
>  >
>  > If I have a single IP, will nat with FreeBSD 4.9 allow me to separate
>  > requests by domain name even if they share an IP?
>
> NAT works with IP addresses.  Why can't you just use Virtual Hosts in
> Apache?  Do you really need to run both versions?

Yes. Unfortunately. (Slash does not run on 2.x, many of the sites
require 2.x)

I am already running virtual hosts on apache, there are many more than
two sites, I've just simplified it for the sake of clarity.

> If so, what you need
> to do is something like this:
>
> Apache 1.3x runs on port 80
> Apache 2.x runs on port 8080
 >
 > redirect 192.168.5.1:80 to 123.123.123.123:80
 > redirect 192.168.5.2:80 to 123.123.123.123:8080

Also not an option, have tried this before, all manner of people run in
to access problems. Giving out your website as www.foo.com:8080 is just
weak. (redirects from a :80 fare no better due to the access problems).

-E-