kern/60526: Post-PAE stable SMP machine freezes

Eugene Grosbein eugen at kuzbass.ru
Thu Mar 18 18:06:47 PST 2004

Doug White wrote:

> I HIGHLY recommend using a DIFFERENT controller for disks. The ROSB4 is OK
> for CDROMs and the like, but use a different controller for the system
> drive.  Promise controllers work great. :)

Hmm, I use SMP motherboard Intel STL2 with ServerWorks ServerSet III LE
and integrated ROSB4:
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/STL2/
I can't found any notes here about the controller.

Could you please point me to any kind of "official" announcement
from Intel, chipset or controller producer?

> ATA tagging is known to work with only a few disk models.  You should
> enable ATA tags ONLY if you KNOW your drive supports it, and test
> extensively to ensure stability.

It DID work with my IBM drive (IC35L040AVER, noted in ata(4) man page)
before PAE intergration without problems. Now I turned it off -
it panices 4.9-STABLE under heavy load.

Eugene