4.8p16 buildworld fails with NO_OPENSSL

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 15 02:50:35 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 02:36:23AM -0800, Dave Hayes wrote:
> Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org> writes:
> > But in the above, you attempted to compile secure/usr.bin/telnet,
> > not usr.bin/telnet.  If you still see a breakage with the latter,
> > come back to me.
>
> Actually, if you check my original message, I did both. To be anally
> clear: I attempted a compile of usr.bin/telnet which was documented
> in my original message.
>
> I'll paste it again:
>
> # cd /usr/src/usr.bin/telnet
> # make
> Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/usr.bin/telnet
> cc -O2 -pipe  -DKLUDGELINEMODE -DUSE_TERMIO -DENV_HACK -DOPIE
> -I/usr/src/usr.bin/telnet/../../lib -I/usr/src/usr.bin/telnet/../../lib/libteln
> et/ -DINET6 -DIPSEC     -o telnet commands.o main.o network.o ring.o sys_bsd.o
> telnet.o terminal.o utilities.o -ltermcap /usr/src/usr.bin/telnet/../../lib/lib
> telnet/libtelnet.a -lipsec
> cc: /usr/src/usr.bin/telnet/../../lib/libtelnet/libtelnet.a: No such file or
> directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> As an aside: are people not using "NO_OPENSSL=true"? I've seen more
> than a few bug incidents with this being defined. Is there some
> data I'm missing on this subject?

Generally, yes.  The mixture of crypto-related knobs and a number
of different telnet's in RELENG_4 is so complex, so that handling
each individual combination became a nightmare, so it was
reengineered in 5.x -- we now have a single telnet entry point in
the source tree, that handles all cases properly (well, it should).

Building RELENG_4 (and RELENG_4_8) worlds with only NO_OPENSSL
will not build the non-crypto version -- usr.bin/Makefile will
not descend into it.  If you don't need crypto, just define
NOCRYPT and rebuild world (it also implies NO_OPENSSL).  It
will have some side effect of not building bdes(1), compared
to only specifying NO_OPENSSL, but do you really need it?  If
not, replace NO_OPENSSL with NOCRYPT, and get on with life.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
FreeBSD committer