Using read-only NULLFS leads to panic. gdb output included, easy toreproduce.

James Read james at physicalsegment.com
Tue Mar 2 15:04:20 PST 2004

> find /usr/ports -type f -perm -u+s &
> find /mnt/1 -type f -perm -u+s &
> find /mnt/2 -type f -perm -u+s &
>
> (Machine C crashed after few minutes).

All I can say is that I've had this happen to me before. 'Me too'

The ports were mounted in exact the same way, but with rw instead of ro.

Also a few jails were running at the time, infact 3 were. All had /usr/ports
mount_null'ed inside there jail.

After running find from the usual periodic scripts it brought the machine
down every time it ran that script.

What I did to stop the box from panicing all the time at that one particular
place, was just to disable the script that does the 'find' / locate. Off the
top of my head I think it was /etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate. Once this was
disabled (from inside and outside the jails), I didnt get any more panics
from 'find'.

Granted this isnt a fix, but it did save me from panic hell every week.

If there is a better way / another way to 'mount_null' /usr/ports (or any
other mount point for that matter) to other places in/on the filesystem, by
using NFS or other such things, then speak up! I don't like getting panics
more then anyone else does ;>

Regards,

James.

believed to be clean.