Apache2 threaded MPM?

Aaron Bannert aaron at clove.org
Wed Jun 30 09:41:28 PDT 2004

On Jun 30, 2004, at 12:44 AM, Ivan Voras wrote:

> Can apache2 be run on FreeBSD 4.x using a threaded MPM (e.g.
> "mpm_worker")? Is anybody using this in production?

There are some serious problems with FreeBSD 4.x's thread support
that cause Apache's worker MPM to fail in strange and horrible ways.
It is possible to force Apache to build the worker MPM under FreeBSD
4.x,
but you have to hack around the safeguards we put in that disallow this.
Even if you manage to get it to work I'd completely avoid it for
production
machines. I've heard good reports from people running worker under 5.x
though.

For more details about the problems, take a look at the STATUS file
in the apache-2.x tarball or in CVS.

-aaron (aka aaron at apache.org)