``top'' and other process issues on 4.10-R

Phillip Salzman phill at sysctl.net
Sun Jun 27 14:59:35 PDT 2004

Hello,

I'm running a Dell 2650 2x3.2Ghz box with HTT disabled (the sysctl variable
hasn't been set, so the user procs aren't taking advantage of the logical
CPUs) & am seeing some rather strange issues with stdout processes.

When I run a tail -f on my maillog (fairly active) I'm getting this
intermittently:

	tail: stdout: Unknown error: 0

Also, vi doesn't seem to work anymore.  It's giving me a ``Resource Not
Available'' error most of the time I'm using it.

This occurs both on remote SSH sessions and console.  The boxes load hasn't
gone over 1, but it is fairly active running some Vexira AV Milter software
on as a mail gateway.

I was seeing this same thing on a 5.2.1-R box but passed it off as a 5.2.1
issue.  I'm using the same AV software on the 4.10 box as on the 5.2.1, but
the 5.2.1 also seemed to have some issues with keeping sockets open in
VexiraAV.

Has anyone else seen this recently or have any recommendations?

--
Phillip Salzman
http://www.sysctl.net/phill/