man page problem

Tim Robbins tjr at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 25 23:43:55 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 10:33:58AM +0200, Tom Dymond wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got this small problem on my server that i find annoying :
>
> When a user who's limit's are close (limited by login.conf) tries to read
> a man page, the groff process fails and produces an empty cat man page.
> Later requests for this man page will then fail.
>
> I tried googling first and found this PR that *appears* identical :
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=gnu/5767
[...]

PR 32791 may also be of interest to you -- It describes multiple ways a user
can could incorrect catpages to be cached in FreeBSD 4.x and earlier releases.

I suggest removing /usr/bin/man's suid bit to disable the caching of
catpages, and adding MANBUILDCAT=yes to /etc/make.conf if you find that
pages are taking too long to display. (I can't actually remember whether
removing man's suid bit is sufficient; there may be some other configuration
changes necessary.)

Tim