via envy24 (ice1724)

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Jun 25 13:24:37 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 02:10:12PM -0600, David Bishop wrote:
> I am a recent convert to FreeBSD (a week ago tomorrow) after
> many years of running debian.  So far it's been pretty interesting,
> if only to see how very many things are different.  I think my
> favorite part so far has been the feeling of integration.
>
> Anyways, the reason for emailing is that I am trying to get my
> sound card up and going.  It is a generic brand card that uses
> the Via Envy24 (that is, IC Ensemble 1724) chipset.  Now, obviously
> I should have read the hardware compatibility chart more closely,
> but to be honest I didn't even think about it...  Just to get
> back up and going, I dug out my old SB AWE64 card, which works
> great.  So my question is, where does the development for sound
> card drivers happen?  I'm used to the alsa project, over in
> linux-land.  Is there something equivilant for FreeBSD?  Who
> would I ask about possible upcoming support?  Who do I get to
> buy another soundcard? :-)

You could ask on the freebsd-multimedia list.  We've, unfortunaly, had a
hard time finding people who know how to write sound drivers, want to do
it, and have time on a consistant basis.

> And finally, am I on the right mailing list?  I am running
> 5.2.1-RELEASE, which is the -STABLE branch of 5, right? So
> freebsd-stable seemed to be the proper place.  If not, I take
> correction with great humility and humourous self-deprecation.
> Please feel free to tell me all the various ways that this email
> is stupid...

The 5.x branch is not yet stable so -current or -multimedia would be
more appropriate.  We anticipate branching 5-STABLE in the next few
months.

-- Brooks