nullfs in 4.10

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Jun 23 08:23:27 GMT 2004

Marc G. Fournier <scrappy at hub.org> wrote:
 > On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Allan Fields wrote:
 > > the wrong answer from a technical standpoint.  Also placing code in the
 > > corner won't fix it: even if it is made to work under 5, many want to
 > > use it in 4 still.  ;)
 >
 > Many *are* using it in 4 quite effectively ... those that tout it as being
 > 'broken' all the time are those that are either trying to do something
 > that is known to cause problems (ie. FIFOs) or those that look at the man
 > page and 'quote scripture' :(

Or those that run user shells within jails.  Users tend to
find out surpsisingly quickly how to panic machines.

I changed to using NFS loopback mounts within jails, and it
works perfectly fine.  The NFS overhead is neglectible (it
almost seems like the NFS code takes some shotcuts when run
through localhost), it doesn't "feel" slower than direct
local disk mounts.

Best regards
   Oliver

"To this day, many C programmers believe that 'strong typing'
just means pounding extra hard on the keyboard."
        -- Peter van der Linden