ifconfig netmask problem

Dan Piparo dan at danworld.net
Wed Jun 23 07:29:33 GMT 2004

Hello,

I just upgraded my server to FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE from FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE
and I've seemed to have a problem with ifconfig.

I have an em0 interface and on the primary IP address I have the netmask set
at 255.255.255.128 because I have a /25 IP block, and the primary IP address
is pingable.  The problem that I'm having is with the alias IPs, I've had
the netmask set for them at 255.255.255.255 for years and they worked fine,
but now the alias IPs that I have aren't pingable at all.  The strange thing
is, when I change the netmask to something like 255.255.255.0 or
255.255.255.254 it is pingable.

What I really want to know, what is the proper netmask for an alias IP
address for the latest FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE version.  Did it change for some
reason?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Dan Piparo