nullfs in 4.10

David Burren david at burren.cx
Tue Jun 22 23:17:59 GMT 2004

On 23/06/2004, at 6:50 AM, Bjoern Koenig wrote:

> NFS on localhost instead of nullfs is a very good solution.

I beg to differ.  Although it may have worked in some situations for
you, static loopback NFS mounts can be a big problem.  Obviously when
you're mounting the filesystem you need nfsd up (that's obvious, and
most people think of that) but when shutting down you should umount (or
sync) the filesystem before killing off the daemons, which is not the
usual way of a shutdown...

I learnt this the hard way years ago with Ultrix/Solaris/HPOX machines,
and I don't FreeBSD has changed the way shutdown works dramatically...

I'm another person who has actively been using nullfs for years on 4
and love it.  It allows me to mount areas of my filesystems as
read-only.  In things like my image management software it allows the
software to give out concurrent separate RO and RW paths to objects.  I
just wish nullfs was also available on OSX...
__
David Burren