Unable to build world

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue Jun 22 17:15:38 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 09:55 pm, Roger Merritt wrote:
> I hadn't updated my world for quite a while, so I ran cvsup to make
> sure I had the latest modifications to the code and then tried to run
> "make buildworld". Failed. Tried again, failed. Went to the file
> where the build failed, didn't see any problem. Deleted the whole
> /usr/src directory and

Since it is trying to use a file from /usr/obj, have your rm'ed it.

> ran cvsup to retrieve the whole body of code again. Still failed. I
get:
> >===> games/robots
> >cc -O -pipe -march=pentium  -DMAX_PER_UID=5    -c
> >/usr/home/src/games/robots/extern.c
> >cc -O -pipe -march=pentium  -DMAX_PER_UID=5    -c
> >/usr/home/src/games/robots/init_field.c
> >cc -O -pipe -march=pentium  -DMAX_PER_UID=5    -c
> >/usr/home/src/games/robots/main.c
> >In file included from /usr/home/src/games/robots/robots.h:36,
> >                  from /usr/home/src/games/robots/main.c:48:
> >/usr/obj/usr/home/src/i386/usr/include/curses.h:1281: undefined or
> > invalid # directive
> >*** Error code 1
> >
> >Stop in /usr/home/src/games/robots.
> >*** Error code 1
> >
> >Stop in /usr/home/src/games.
> >*** Error code 1
> >
> >Stop in /usr/home/src.
> >*** Error code 1
> >
> >Stop in /usr/home/src.
> >*** Error code 1
> >
> >Stop in /usr/home/src.
>
> Incidentally, for space reasons I had to put the source tree in the
> "home" directory (a separate slice on my hard drive) with a syslink
> as /usr/src, but I've built world many times (at least several times)
> since I did that and never had a problem before.

The only time I have run into a problem with this is if I try to NFS
mount /usr/src or /usr/obj. The build process remembers the real path
and used it. It was not the same on the machine doing the mounting.
When I setup a system to be NFS mountable, I put /usr/src and /usr/obj
on their own partitions. Then, build process uses the same path on the
machine doing the mounting.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart