libtool problem or SMP problem or port problem or what?

Chris Pepper pepper at reppep.com
Mon Jun 21 14:08:26 GMT 2004

At 12:01 AM -0700 2004/06/21, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>  > [root at elf XFree86-4-libraries]# make clean USE_LIBTOOL_VER=15
>
>USE_* are not to be specified by the user, they're only for use within
>port makefiles.  You discovered the consequence, I'll leave the reason
>for you to figure out as an instructive exercise about the ports
>collection :)

	Hmm. This raises the question, then, of why a couple of my
ports have recently told me to set something like USE_BASE_OPENSSL or
USE_PORT_OPENSSL to install (as I recall, a vulnerability check was
failing). This worked, although I had to remove an OpenSSL dependency
in pkgdb -F later.

	Was there a better way? In this scenario, do I really have to
install OpenSSL from ports to keep things clean? Should those
messages be changed?

						Thx,

						Chris
PS-This was on -CURRENT.